Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A quiet dry Saturday- I mean dry as in no alcohol-another election- provides respite from daily life; and anyway E has ‘gone shopping’ though not always enthusiastic in the absence of Woolworths. This particular trip a little enlivened by the fact that she has taken her pet rat with her ensconced in a Hello Kitty purse. Its escape in Robinson Airport Plaza might send a few folk scampering..
We had the third day of rain in 5 months. But I see no evidence of drought-yet. I gather James Lovelock believes the planet will have been relieved of 80% of its population by 2100 and that Europe will be the Sahara. Must buy an Acre of Land in Wales..or Co. Cork to supplement the Olive Groves of Sarn and a fish farm.
I wonder where he thinks the remaining 20% will live? Canada, Russia and Ireland I suppose. Though Chiang Mai watered rather than flooded by the mountains of Yunnan probably not a total disaster
Anyway we continue to grow the house-relatively faster than things fall off.
And E has declared that she will ‘go back to my Seaside School for the summer’. So off, indeed we will go at the end of March. Half a term at Ysgol Abersoch being worth considerably more than Summer Camps. Ecamps and Summer Schools in Chiang Mai-particularly as I scent God in some of it.

I write very slowly, now. Lack of practice, I guess. And even though E goes to school at 07.30, returns 15.30 the days seem very short! But also what is there to say?! Little goes on on the literary front. The Gregynog book appears stalled, so I suppose we will have to do something else to mark the 100th anniversary of Elsi’s birth.The radio play of Byron’s book, also quiet. The mural has not arrived in Bangor…
So we make scallop shell mobiles and orange cardboard octopus installations. She never stops drawing and wanders round saying H’m What shall I do..I know some sums/writing….We have long finished The Faraway Tree and many Worst Witches and Naughty Little Sisters. I look forward, again, to The Dewdrop Inn and The House at One End Street!
I have finished Orhan Pamuk. Preferred Other Colours and Istanbul to the novels-with the exception of My Name Is Red. Now onto Justin’s book about Aung San Su Kyi.

Anyway school is out. Look I have graduated.


Any excuse for a uniform. The school could not organise a tea party but we got a new passport in 35 minutes and my re-entry stamp in 8 minutes..so always some surprising plus in the Thai corner.
Oh and since I started Gregynog now tell us that they won’t be doing the book at all-stunned by the idea that they could not do it for free I suppose. Anyway the books are horrible:: RS and MEE hated Hutchins’s Laboratories. I should think they will go bust again unless they have unlimited access to some Welsh Assembly trough. There are others who might do it..better to do ourselves I should think